Image Map

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes for Katie at Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher

Hi Teacher Friends! My name is Katie and I currently blog over at Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher.
However, I have big changes coming my way because I am going to be teaching 1st grade in the fall and could not be more excited about it! I had the privilege of working in a 1st grade classroom for two years while I was in high school through a class I took and I loved it! I also continued to volunteer in this classroom when I was in college and needed some observation hours.

I have spent my first two years of teaching in a 6th grade Language Arts classroom that is on a middle school campus. When I was in college, if someone had told me I was going to be teaching 6th grade I would have told them they were crazy! Guess I was wrong. I have loved my experience in 6th grade, but I am so excited for the fall. I am looking forward to getting to really know my students. This year I have had 105 students in a total of 5 classes. Oh wait, did I mention that I only have 55 minutes with them too? It has not been easy.

I am so excited to share this journey with you all and to contribute to Texas Teacher Roundup with some amazing 1st grade things that I do in my classroom! You can count on some posts about implementing the Daily 5, Writing Workshop, and Guided Math that will be meeting the TEKS for 1st grade!

Hang in there because it is almost summer!
Katie

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I am moving back to the classroom after a year of central admin work, and I thought that might be a big transition. However, I think you definitely take the cake on this one!

    Mrs. D
    TheThirdWheel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be a big change as well! Sounds like we will both have an exciting year!

      Katie

      Delete
  2. I moved from 5th to PK about 5 years ago. It was culture shock! But in the end, I loved it. Of course, I was on maternity leave for 3 months (haha). I looped to Kinder & I'm currently teaching the same kiddos 3rd Grade Reading. I feel like some of them are my children!

    I think it's great you have experience in teaching the little ones. I thought it was more difficult to move down than up.

    Deniece

    ReplyDelete